Learning from robots about parenthood? They might have something to teach us.
Or at least remind us of.
I did a little experiment. I asked the famous Ai programme ChatGPT "What's one thing every new parent should know?"
I was intrigued as to what it might say. In all honesty I was expecting it to come out with practical tips about childbirth or swaddling or feeding or something like that. Some info from the interweb that tell parents all the do's and don'ts.
But I was pleasantly surprised as I watched the words come up on the screen. The first paragraph felt surprisingly human...
One thing every new parent should know is that parenting is a journey that requires patience, flexibility, and a willingness to learn and grow with your child.
Not bad for a start. It can see the bigger picture, the ethos of parenting rather than granular practical advice.
But it went on;
Here are some more specific points that might be helpful:
- Trust your instincts: As a parent, you know your child better than anyone else. Trust your instincts and rely on your own judgment when making decisions.
- Take care of yourself: Parenting can be exhausting, and it's important to take care of your own physical, emotional, and mental health in order to be the best parent you can be.
- Be flexible: Parenting requires flexibility and the ability to adapt to changing circumstances. Be prepared to adjust your plans and expectations as your child grows and develops.
- Prioritise quality time: Spending quality time with your child is more important than any material possessions or extracurricular activities. Make time for play, conversation, and connection with your child every day.
- Embrace mistakes: Parenting is a learning experience, and everyone makes mistakes. Be kind to yourself and learn from your mistakes, rather than dwelling on them.
- Seek support: Parenting can be challenging, and it's okay to seek support from friends, family, or professionals when you need it.
6 really great reminders about what the core of being a parent is all about. It's so easy to get swept up in all of the well meaning opinions, the social media posts, the family and friends, the mum and baby groups...to be made to feel if you are't doing all the things you're not succeeding.
But here is a robot who is surprisingly down to earth with its 'advice'. Essentially saying trust yourself. You've got this.
It wrapped up by saying
Ultimately, the most important thing every new parent should know is that they are capable of providing love, support, and guidance to their child, and that the journey of parenting is a rewarding one.
So if no one told you today, YOU are capable, YOU are loving, YOU are all your child needs. YOU are more than enough.